Here for Canada
A VOICE FOR VANCOUVER – A strong voice at the government table to represent our urban issues.
Our Record is strong – putting money back in the pockets of taxpayers!
- Reduced the federal tax burden to its lowest level in 50 years.
- Removed over 1,000,000 low-income Canadians from the federal income tax rolls.
- Delivered 120 tax cuts since 2009 saving the average Canadian family of four over $3,000 per year.
- Created almost 500,000 new jobs since July 2009 – more than were lost during the recession.
Our Low-Tax Plan for jobs and growth – a plan that works for you!
DOUBLING THE TAX-FREE SAVINGS ACCOUNT LIMIT
- From $5,000 to $20,000 – quadrupling the amount Canadians can save tax-free each year.
SUPPORT FOR SMALL BUSINESSES
- $1,000 Hiring Credit – Employment Insurance break for 525,000 Canadian small businesses.
- Cut red tape and eliminate administrative burdens for small- and medium-sized businesses.
- Reduced the federal tax rate to 11% to allow small businesses to invest, expand, and hire more workers.
NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR OLDER WORKERS
- $50-million over two years to extend the Targeted Initiative for Older Workers program.
- New skills training opportunities to help unemployed older workers stay in the workforce.
FOREIGN CREDENTIALS LOANS FOR NEW CANADIANS
- New loans for recent immigrants to help pay for skills training and accreditation.
SUPPORT FOR FAMILIES
- The Family Tax Cut – additional tax relief for 1.8 million Canadian families on average $1,300 per year.
- Double the Children’s Fitness Tax Credit to $1,000 per child to cover sports and recreation fees.
- The Children’s Arts Tax Credit – $500 per child to cover expenses for arts and cultural activities.
SUPPORT FOR SENIORS AND FAMILY CAREGIVERS
- $300-million in additional funding to raise the Guaranteed Income Supplement – an extra $600 per year for senior singles and $840 for couples to improve financial security and quality of life.
- The Family Caregiver Tax Credit on the amount of $2,000 will support over 500,000 caregivers.
- $10-million additional funding for the New Horizons for Seniors Program to support local projects that enable seniors to participate in their community.
Our Commitment – to eliminate the deficit by 2014-15 without cutting transfer payments to individuals or to the provinces for essential things like health care, education, and pensions.
STABLE HEALTH CARE
Universally-accessible, quality public health care regardless of your ability to pay.
THE CONSERVATIVE RECORD
- A 33% increase in funding to the provinces and territories ($30-billion) since 2006.
- Steady transfer payments to help the provinces strengthen health care services across the country.
- Signed Patient Wait Time Guarantee agreements with all provinces and territories.
- Support for cutting-edge medical research to find treatments and cures for neurological diseases.
- $250-million for cancer research, training and screening.
THE LIBERAL RECORD
- The previous Liberal government cut $25-billion in health care funding to the provinces.
- Caused a health care funding crisis and nearly doubled patient wait times.
Our Promise – to work collaboratively with the provinces and territories to renew the Health Accord and to continue to reduce patient wait times.
Promoting quality of life and a healthy urban community.
- Tough laws to fight organized crime, violent crime and gun crimes.
- New funding for the Youth Gang Prevention Fund – $37.5-million over 5 years for community programs to help at-risk youth to avoid gangs and criminal activity.
- Tough new measures to fight human trafficking and protect immigrant workers.
- A strong voice on homelessness and the Conservative government’s National Homelessness Strategy – $1.9-billion over 5 years to build affordable housing for low-income Canadians.
- Tough new measures to protect against elder abuse.
ENVIRONMENT AND CLEAN ENERGY
Balancing the need for economic growth with our responsibility to protect the environment.
- Expanded protected wilderness areas and introduced laws eliminate harmful pollutants from the environment.
- The ecoEnergy Home Retrofit Program – grants to property owners of up to $5,000 per unit for energy-efficiency improvements.
- $870-million over two years to improve air quality in urban communities.
- New funding for clean energy research and development (almost $100-million over 2 years).
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions 17% from 2005 levels by 2020.
Our Conservative government has welcomed the highest levels of immigration to Canada in the last 50 years.
- Continue to attract more skilled workers to support our labour market needs.
- Increase family class immigrants to allow up to 65,000 this year.
- Protect immigrants from crooked immigration consultants.
EDUCATION and TRAINING
Our Government increased transfer payments to the provinces by 40% to support quality education across Canada.
- Up to $2-billion through the Knowledge Infrastructure Program to expand post-secondary institutions.
- Established the Canada Student Grants Program and provided support for 290,000 for low- and middle-income students 2009-10.
- Scholarships and bursaries are now tax-free.
- $4,000 apprenticeship grants to encourage young Canadians to pursue skilled trades.
TRANSPORTATION and INFRASTRUCTURE
Record investments in Vancouver’s infrastructure under Stephen Harper’s Conservative Government.
- Continue our long-term plan for infrastructure renewal and work effectively with other levels of government.
- Legislation to confirm permanent funding for municipal infrastructure.